The Ultimate Chocolate Cookies

These are a firm favourite of my brother's, and I've made them more times than I can count. I started off on my cookie journey years ago (I know, I need to get a life!) and just followed lots of different recipes. But now, at the grand old age of 22, I can proudly present my very own, tried and tested (times a million) chocolate cookie recipe. It makes REALLY chocolate-y, gooey-but-crunchy-on-the-outside, melt-in-your-mouth cookies, and I think it's pretty foolproof.

To make 12 big cookies, you'll need:
  • A lot of chocolate. I usually use three 200g bars (one milk, one dark, one white).
  • 200g butter. I used margarine this time round because I didn't have any butter in the fridge, but they're definitely better with butter - no calorie-counting here!
  • 275g golden caster sugar.
  • 275g self-raising flour.
  • 75g cocoa powder.
  • 1 large egg (if you only have medium, I'd probably chuck 2 in).
  • Milk (semi-skimmed is better, but again, I didn't have any).
























Step 1: Whisk the butter and sugar together using an electric whisk. All the proper chefs say to do this until it's smooth and creamy, but I'm not sure it makes all that much difference...
























Step 2: Add the egg and whisk again. Mine had a double yolk!
























Step 3: Add in the self-raising flour and cocoa powder - don't bother sifting them with this recipe, unless you're really keen - then whisk again.
























Step 4: Break the chocolate up into squares. You don't need to chop it up any smaller - we want big, rustic, chunks of chocolate in our cookies. Stir them all in as well as you can. You could also add nuts in at this point if you fancy it.
























Step 5: Dollop twelve blobs of the mixture onto two large baking trays. They will spread out, so don't put them too close together.
























Step 6: Put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes. Don't be tempted to leave them in any longer than this. They will look seriously under-baked when you take them out, but they will firm up as the cool, and we want that gooey centre! Leave them to cool on a wire rack - I think they're best when they're completely cool and solid, but let's face it, who has that kind of willpower?!
























Step 7: Eat them all before someone else does.


No comments :

Post a Comment