Berlin Brunch Series - Hofbräu München

I spent some time in Berlin and discovered some lovely places to eat. I had been warned before I travelled, that I shouldn't expect good food. I was happy to discover that the advise was not warranted. From quaint cafes, to large beer restaurants and incredible kebab joints - Berlin has a lot to offer. My next series of posts will reveal hotspots I found in Berlin.

Hofbräu München is a must visit if you are in Berlin. Prost!




I'll start with a traditional Bavarian restaurant called Hofbräu München. I would recommend it for the experience as well as the food. Woman in dirndl and men in lederhosen serve plenty of beer and traditional Bavarian cuisine. Throughout the evening a live band play local music and people get up and dance. Its authenticity attracts Germans and tourists.




A warning for vegetarians - there isn't a great deal of choice for you, I'm afraid. Potatoes and meat feature heavily on the menu, so I hope you like potatoes. My friend Sara,  a vegetarian, chose a jacket potato and was surprised to receive two. She said it was nice (not a ringing endorsement - but hey, it's a jacket potato!). She was disappointed with the lack of options on the menu.

 

Christina, had the schweinknochel mit sauerkraut (pork knuckle with sauerkraut). The photograph does not capture just how large the meal is. It was served with a potato dumpling and lashings of warm sauerkraut. A perfectly crisp crackling encased the roast meat which was so tender. The sauerkraut was far less acidic than I've had in the past. It cut through the richness of the dish.




 Given that Germany is known for its sausages, most of us opted for the sausage platter. This consisted of three types of sausage, a mounds of mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. My favourite is the lighter sausage (weisswurst - white sausage) which is best eaten with a sweet mustard and a soft pretzel. It is incredibly well seasoned and uses spices such as mace and cardamon. It is boiled and some people remove the casing before eating. It's lovely - despite its appearance.!





We ordered cheese dip side. We had expected a hot melted fondue. In reality the dish is a mixture of different cheeses and cream. I love cheese but found this combination far too rich and salty and just not to my taste. Fortunately, that was the only thing that I did not like at all!



Fortunately the music, dancing, tankards of beer (there are so many types on offer and we tried a fair few (it would be rude not too)) and the other dishes made up for the not so nice cheese dish. Given the large portion size, we were far too full for desert. You'll certainly leave Hofbräu München feeling very merry!























Hofbräu München - www.hofbraeu-wirtshaus.de/berlin/ - 030 679 66 55 20
Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 30 10178 Berlin


No comments :

Post a Comment