Weekend Brunchin' in KL - Part 1: Yellow Brick Road

Hi guys!  So, welcome to the "Weekend Brunchin' in KL" series :)  I'm super excited to do this because it's the first series we've done here at fEasToWest, and, well, I just adore brunch!!  So, every couple of weeks (or weekly, if I have the time!) I'll blog about a brunch place (or two) I've been to recently, and today I'll start with Yellow Brick Road. 

Yellow Brick Road (or Jalan Batu Kuning, as a friend of mine likes to call it) is a new all-day dining outlet in Damansara Heights owned and run by the same team in charge of Red Bean Bag.  As such, I had pretty high expectations when I first went, and I'm pleased to say that it's become one of my favourite brunch places.  

Here are some of the dishes I've tried:

The Big Breakfast Bash



























Served in a 16 inch pan, this Big Breakfast doesn't disappoint.  Look how beautifully orange the egg yolks are, and the variety of items that come with it are certainly yummy.  Note that you get a choice of beef bacon or turkey ham/beef or chicken sausage, and you can select how you like your eggs done: sunny side up, poached, scrambled, in an omelette etc.  I also really love the idea of sweet potatoes in the middle - gives the dish a little bit of a unique taste.  The only thing I am not too fond of is the bread (hiding under the eggs) - for some reason, the infusion of rosemary kinda is kinda overpowering.  Overall, however, I would thoroughly recommend this dish (though note that it is rather expensive at RM30!)

Eggs Benedict/Royale - with a twist
























Poached eggs, smoked salmon, avocado slices, quinoa rosti and passionfruit hollandaise.  I must admit, I was a little hesitant at first - not least because of the passionfruit hollandaise (I mean, sounds weird, doesn't it?!) - but this really is an excellent dish.  The slightly sour hollandaise coupled with rosti that isn't as carb and fat laden as the traditional kind makes this dish lighter and much more manageable than a normal Eggs Royale.  Plus, how gorgeous is the presentation?!  #foodart  Not bad for RM25.

I Wanna be Kaya!
























This is the dish everyone talks about.  French toast with poached pear and strawberries, caramel kaya sauce and coconut mascarpone.  I don't want to be a wet blanket or anything, but I must admit I wasn't blown away.  It was ok, and I'm glad it didn't come drenched in kaya, but it did sorta just taste like airy toast with fruit, and in my opinion not really worth RM22 (nor the calories!)

Eggs on Toast
























I was clearly feeling very unadventurous the day I ordered this, so it's a bit of a boring choice (sorry!)  I would make the same comment about the bread - see The Big Breakfast Bash, above - but the eggs were very well poached (lovely oozy orange yolks) and I LOVE Lescure butter, so that was much appreciated :)


Truffled Fries with Pecorino Sauce
























I had these at 9am.  They were that good.  Need I say more?!

Skinny Mocha
























One of the things I love about Yellow Brick Road is that they have skimmed milk.  I'm not really a fan of full fat dairy - it makes me feel a bit sick - so I am always grateful when cafes serve the low fat version.  And this mocha was pretty perfect too: chocolately but not overpoweringly so, and perfectly complemented by hints of bitter coffee.  Yum.

Iced White Coffee























Good creamy iced coffee; cool glass.  And they give you the sugar syrup separately, so you can control the sweetness.  Win.

Cakes
Haven't tried any of these, but I have my eye on that salted caramel peanut butter business…








































Ambiance/Decor
Light and airy, not too hipster or kitsch.  Comfortable yet cosy, with an outdoor seating area.  Note: you will likely have to queue if you come after 10am on a weekend.  


The buzzing coffee area






































Mahoosive table in the middle of the restaurant!

























Rating: 9/10

Yellow Brick Road - 03 2035 9522
7-8 Jalan Batai, Damansara Heights, 50490 KL

No comments :

Post a Comment