Jackson + Rye

I went for brunch with some good friends I hadn't seen in a while. I decided on Jackson + Rye because the menu was wide enough to appeal to everyone and brunch is served until 4.30pm on weekends! The restaurant is elegantly decorated and reminded me of a luxe French brasserie, despite its American diner menu. The low lighting made for a nice relaxed ambiance, but not so great photographs (apologies in advance)!

We ordered and shared arancini while we pondered over the wide menu. They went down a treat. The arancini were flavoured with truffle, rather than truffle oil and were not overpoweringly cheesy or overwhelming doused in truffle. They were crisp and light and were accompanied with a light Parmesan sauce. The sauce was slightly tangy which balanced well with the decadent and cheesy rice balls. 


Hot, crispy delicious arancini


























I had the avocado Benedict. Two lovely poached eggs on a nicely ripened avocado, with crispy maple bacon. The hollandaise sauce wasn't too thick and I thoroughly enjoyed the dish. My only criticism would be that the accompanying slice of sourdough toast was too dry and wasn't that hot.

Acocado Benedict

























J had been out the night before and sensibly picked the Farmer's Eggs. This dish included bacon, a sausage patty, fried eggs, sourdough toast and country style potatoes - which effectively mopped up the hangover that she had been nursing. J enjoyed the dish and had no complaints.

Farmer's Eggs

























E ordered the bacon and blueberry pancakes which were served with powdered sugar and syrup on the side. The pancakes with light and fluffy and the bacon was thick and crispy. It's a great dish for those who love sweet and savoury flavour combinations. E also ordered a side of mac and cheese. I have never been a fan of mac and cheese as I find it too creamy and boring. I tried a forkful but wasn't convinced. Maybe next time will be better.

Pancakes

























Feeling greedy we all opted to have dessert! I chose the pecan pie which was served with whiskey ice-cream. The pecan pie was served warm and had a lovely thin buttery pastry (Mary Berry would be proud). But personally I loved the ice-cream most. (Maybe I have a thing for boozy ice-cream - see my last post! http://feastowest.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/drunken-dairy.html). 

Sticky Sweet but not Sickly Sweet Pecan Pie

























My friends both had the peanut butter and jelly cookies. There are two in a portion and they come with a generous serving of milk ice cream and some pouring chocolate. I tried some of it. The cookies have a strong peanut butter flavour and completely melt in the mouth. They were incredibly sweet and so the subdued milk favour was a sensible choice, as it was not especially sugary. I have to say the chocolate sauce in my opinion wasn't necessary as it did not add much to plate.

Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam (jelly) Cookies


























The good food, delicious cocktails and relaxed ambiance made for a pleasant lunch. Service at times was a bit too relaxed. At one point the waitress serving downstairs decided to have lunch on one of the free tables. She had her back to us and we didn't want to interrupt her lunch - it just meant that we couldn't leave. Notwithstanding this, I will be back again.

Rating: 8/10

Jackson + Rye - http://www.jacksonrye.com - 56 Wardour Street, London, W1D 4JG (and various locations across London) - 0207 437 8338

No comments :

Post a Comment