Yeast Bistronomy

I went to Yeast for dinner on Thursday with two friends I hadn't seen in years.  Having eaten at Yeast on one previous occasion, I had high expectations - I remember the food being pretty darn good.

We decided to skip the starters and head straight for the main courses.  I chose the pan seared chicken breast with onion and lemon marmalade, garlic & herb croquette, mixed fresh vegetables and chicken jus (or, if you want to be fancy, poelee de supreme de volatile et compote d'oignons au citron).


Pan seared chicken breast
























The chicken itself was lovely - tender & juicy.  However, as you can see from the photo, the rest of the dish left me rather dissatisfied.  

First of all, one stalk of asparagus and a tiny baby carrot equals a bit of a poor excuse for 'fresh vegetables'.  

Second, the onion marmalade beneath the so-called 'fresh vegetables' was too rough to be an actual marmalade - in my opinion they were just cooked onions (although to be fair they tasted fine and went quite well with the chicken).  

Third, as he was serving me, the waiter advised that I should eat the chicken with the croquette.  Well, as is evident from the picture, there is rather a lot of chicken and not very much croquette.  While I am not suggesting that they make the croquette bigger - in fact I quite like the miniature size - perhaps they could add a couple more croquettes to balance the dish out a little.

Fourth, the dish wasn't aesthetically pleasing.  While the slices of chicken were lined up quite neatly, the collection of sauces swimming underneath made the entire meal look slightly unappetising.

As such, I was a little disappointed with my dish.  It cost RM45 so I did expect at least a few more vegetables on the plate, if nothing else.

Now - onto the other dishes.  One of my friends, J, had the boeuf bourguignon - tender beef braised in red wine with pearl onions, glazed carrots and celeriac puree.  Fortunately, J was very pleased with his meal!  Apparently the beef was indeed very tender, the sauce tasty and the shallots crispy.

Boeuf Bourguignon - looks yum!

























EL had the confit of lamb shoulder with herb mashed potatoes, tomatoes and natural lamb jus (epaule d'agneau confite, puree de pommes de terre aux herbes, tomates cerises et jus naturel).

Confit of lamb shoulder

























Like J, EL had very positive things to say about her meal: tasty, hearty and pretty.  I should mention, nevertheless, that there dishes were rather more expensive than mine - the beef costs RM76 and the lamb sells for RM68.  That said, their happy faces after the meal suggested that it was worth it!

We didn't try their desserts but from past experience I can tell you that they are pretty yummy - especially the chocolatey ones!

Overall, I had a pleasant dining experience at Yeast.  The ambiance is relaxed yet chic and two out of the three dishes we had were lovely.  I would recommend it for a casual weekday dinner (although note that it is also an all-day bakery and very popular at breakfast time).

Yeast Bistronomy - +603 2282 0118 - 24G Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar 51900, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

No comments :

Post a Comment