City Social

I am a big fan of Jason Atherton and have been to several of his restaurants. When City Social opened up it was only a matter of time before I went. I recently went with Hannah for dinner. 

The restaurant has both a relaxed and sophisticated vibe and decor. Located on the 24th floor , City Social offers panoramic views of the skyline. From where we sat I had a lovely view of the sun setting over the City of London. I have sometimes found that some restaurants boasting a splendid view tend to serve disappointing food. City Social, however, did not disappoint.


This picture does not do justice to the view

Having decided against starters, I ordered the ceps risotto with sweetbreads as my main course. The risotto was rich and creamy complimented by the mushrooms which added a depth of flavour. This was the first time that I had tried sweetbreads and they were the stars of the dish! They had been coated and fried, so the crispy outer yielded to a smooth and mellow sweetbread. The food looked and smelled so good that I ate it all and forgot to take a picture! 

Hannah ordered the fillet steak which was served with chips and a salad. I have to say that the chips were delicious. They were cooked in duck fat and were wonderfully crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. 

Jason Atherton does great desserts and the desserts at City Social were no exception. I had the apricot soufflé with almond ice cream. I can't fault either components. They complemented each other really well as the smooth and nutty ice cream didn't overpower the delicate and light soufflé.

Apricot Soufflé

























Hannah had City Social's take on a Black Forest. Chocolate and cherry is a classic crowd pleasing combination and this rendition worked well. I tried some and really enjoyed the different textures. A sweet and sharp cherry sorbet cut through the rich chocolate crumb. Chocolate sponge, cream and soaked cherries formed the traditional components of the the pudding.
Deconstructed Black Forest Gâteau

























Service was smooth, attentive and not at all overbearing. We had a really lovely evening and I am sure that I will be back again. 

- Update: I told you that City Social was good and it has just been awarded a well deserved Michelin Star! 

City Social - www.citysociallondon.com - 020 7877 7703
Tower 42, 25 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1HQ

No comments :

Post a Comment