Yauatcha by TVP

Hello foodies! My name is Reena and I am a food blogger from The Veggie Perspective. I was delighted when the lovely girls at fEastToWest invited me to share a guest blog post. As a fellow foodie, I am a big fan of fEastToWest and regularly visit the blog to see the latest restaurants the girls have been feasting at! I focus on the vegetarian side of things and I would like to share my recent experience at Yauatcha City.






















Yauatcha City is perfectly located overlooking Broadgate Circle, an area in the city which houses a collection of restaurants providing flavours from all over the world. It is the second Yauatcha branch in London (the first opened in Soho in May 2015) by Alan Yau which is inspired by tea houses in China. The prime London location and popularity of Yauatcha successfully draws in the surrounding city workers making it difficult to get a reservation here last minute.  



















After hearing so much about Yauatcha’s legendary dim sum, I had very high expectations. Generally I haven’t been blown away by vegetarian dim sum at other Chinese restaurants so I was curious to see if Yauatcha could change my opinion.

Dim sum, which is actually a casual street food in China, features on the menus of some of the fanciest restaurants in London and I think the dish will always be considered one of the ‘it’ dining foods in the city. Having recently attended a dim sum making class, I can fully appreciate the skill and artistic element that goes into making this dish.


























Yauatcha City has a trendy feel with simple elegant décor reflecting a modern tea house. I walked passed the patisserie to enter the main dining area and had to come back after being seated to admire the beauty of the desserts, particularly the signature macaroons. My sweet tooth left dessert playing on my mind before the meal had even begun!




















A friend and I used the Bookatable deal which was excellent value and included a drink, 9 sharing dishes and dessert for £30. This was a great way to try a selection of the menu. There are a limited number of vegetarian dishes on the menu so I probably tried most of the dishes that I would have been able to eat here.


Throughout the meal the service was superb. Our waitress described each dish in detail and was very friendly. Bar one slip up with a mix up over the bill, I wouldn’t fault the service. This was apologised for and sorted out immediately.

The selection included:
-          Wild mushroom dumpling
-          Steamed vegetable dumpling
-          Garden dumpling
-          Crystal dumpling wrap with pumpkin
-          Edamame truffle dumpling
-          Vegetable shanghai dumpling
-          Mushroom spring roll with black truffle
-          Curry taro croquette
-          Three mushroom style cheung fun

I was impressed by the flavours in the dishes I tried. This has definitely been my best dim sum experience in London in terms of presentation and taste. Although I love mushrooms, I did feel that there were too many mushroom based dishes which tasted samey so this may not be the best experience for a vegetarian who doesn’t like mushrooms.





























The highlights of the meal for me were the edamame truffle dumpling and curry taro croquette. Both were very rich in flavour and stood out from the other dishes. 

























My least enjoyable dish was the three mushroom style cheung fun because I didn’t like the sticky texture.



















Elderflower, cheesecake, lavender and matcha macaroons - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the elderflower and lavender macaroons. The lavender macaroon had a complimentary chocolate centre. The matcha and cheesecake macaroons were slightly disappointing as their distinct flavours didn’t seep through as much.


Overall my experience at Yauatcha from booking to dining was brilliant. It is pricier than your average meal, but this reflects the sophisticated setting and artistic presentation making it a great place for a special occasion. Although I felt a few dishes tasted a bit too similar, I was generally impressed by the dim sum selection and vegetarian options available, possibly due to my love for mushrooms.

If you would like to read more about my experiences at restaurants in London from a vegetarian viewpoint please check out my blog: www.theveggieperspective.com


Thank you to the girls at fEastToWest! Looking forward to your future foodie posts! 

No comments :

Post a Comment