Mercat Barcelona Gastrobar

So a little while back I headed over to Mercat for Sunday lunch.  I'd been hearing a lot about it, and as I am a huge fan of Catalan cooking, I was determined to try some of their most talked-about dishes.


























This duck confit was lovely in that the skin was crispy and the meat was tender.  It's a very hearty dish though so if you are on a diet it's probably best to stay clear! 


























Here is the pork belly and egg dish that I had really been looking forward to.  I have a real weakness for runny egg yolks, so I felt there was really no way this could've gone wrong in my mind.

Unfortunately, however, while the pork and egg were cooked to perfection individually, I thought that the watery base (which you can see from the photo) didn't really work.  Though we followed the advice of the staff to break the egg yolk to form a sauce, I felt that the result was still too thin.  I'm guessing that the intention was that a lighter base would temper the cholesterol-laden fattiness of the pork, but to me the former didn't complement the latter as well as a slightly creamier sauce might have.  Just a personal opinion though.

























Finally, we had the chicken and mushroom paella, which was simple but delicious.  The rice was cooked al dente, and the ingredients complemented each other nicely.

























Drinks-wise, we decided that we would all go for some refreshing white sangria.  Now, I freely admit I am no sangria connoisseur so can't really give you any intelligent or informed review of the above (!) but I will say that everyone else polished them off in no time...I guess that's a thumbs up?!

Overall, I did enjoy my meal at Mercat and would recommend a visit to anyone who loves tapas as much as I do :)

Mercat Barcelona Gastrobar
Rating: 8/10
51G Jalan Telawi 3, Bangsar Baru, 59100 KL  - +60322015288

No comments :

Post a Comment