Weekend Brunchin' In KL - Part 3: Antipodean Bangsar

I'll come right out and say it: Antipodean in Bangsar is one of my favourite breakfast/brunch places.  Its food is unpretentious (and "hits the spot", as they say) and the service is quick and friendly.  What more could a hungry customer want?!


Scrambled eggs with feta & spinach on toast


























I often find that after a few mouthfuls scrambled eggs can be a bit sickly (probably all that dairy that's been bunged in them) but here the sharpness of the feta and the freshness of the greens cut through all that.  The toast is the perfect accompaniment - wholemeal, nutty and crunchy.  


Avocado toast with tomatoes, poached eggs and crispy bacon

























This is a hearty, very filling dish, so don't go for it if you're only feeling peckish!  The creaminess of the avocado is great paired with the crispiness of the streaky bacon (yes, it's pork bacon - this is a non-halal establishment), and in my opinion one can never go wrong with perfectly poached oozy eggs.  (Be aware though that the eggs will only be added upon request.)  


All day breakfast

























The all day breakfast comes in a variety of guises - you can have a chicken, beef or pork sausage; you can have your eggs sunny side up or poached instead of scrambled; you can add bacon…you get the point.  I would say though that Antipodean's pork sausages are the best I've tried in KL at least (and trust me, I've tried a few!) so make sure to have a go at them.


French toast with bacon & maple syrup

























Ok, so though this dish sounds very enticing, I will admit that I wasn't its greatest fan, mostly because the french toast was a bit dry.  It may well be because my own personal tastes favour eggy french toast, so perhaps it isn't fair to criticise on that score, but I will also say that the ratio of toast to bacon was somewhat lopsided, if you understand my meaning.


Fruit salad with honey and yoghurt

























With this, we begin the rather more healthy part of this post :)  I quite fancy this bowl of goodness because it's not overly sweet - the tanginess of the plain Australian yoghurt pairs very nicely with the honey and fruit.


Muesli with yoghurt, fresh fruit and honey

























This is basically the dish above plus muesli.  I asked for the honey to be served separately as I was worried that it may be too sweet with all the dried fruit in the muesli.  It's also good to request some milk on the side, otherwise it becomes too dry.


Porridge with honey and banana



















I'm not the biggest fan of banana (in fact, I used to hate it!) but it added a healthy touch of sugar to the porridge.  The porridge itself got my vote in that it was smooth but not sickly, though I sort of wish I'd requested for the honey to be served on the side, since it made the dish a bit too sweet.


























The coffees at Antipodean are pretty good too, in my humble opinion, though I don't profess to be an expert (far from it!)  I generally go for a mocha, with that kick of sweetness (above and below), though the flat whites and lattes are also excellent.


Not quite sure what message the barista was trying to send me…?!


























Front: mocha; Left: freshly pressed orange juice (yum!); Behind: flat white (also yum!)


























One other good thing is that Antipodean serves "skinny" versions of their coffees.  I've never been a fan of full-fat milk (leaves that sorta "oily" aftertaste in one's mouth, don't you think?) so I inevitably get annoyed when a cafe tells me that they don't have skimmed milk.  Not a problem at Antipodean though.

Well, you can tell how much I love this place.  It serves breakfast from morning to night, although there is a separate brunch menu from 11am onwards.  There's both indoor and outdoor seating, and no matter how busy it is (and it is usually packed!) the staff will try their very best to get you a table within record time.  

So, what are you waiting for?!  If you love breakfast food as much as I do, get yourselves down to Antipodean Bangsar as fast as your legs (or car) will carry you!

Rating: 9/10
Antipodean Bangsar - No. 20, Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar, KL - +603 2282 0411
www.antipodeancoffee.com

No comments :

Post a Comment