Pulp by Papa Palheta

So I stumbled upon a new coffee place this sunny Sunday morning.  Ok well, I didn't stumble upon it exactly - my dad introduced me to it - but let's keep that quiet because it suggests my middle-aged father is way cooler than I am (true though it may be).  Anyway, the reason I said stumble upon in the first place is that Pulp isn't your usual run-of-the-middle cafe situated in a mainstream shopping mall, nor is it nestled amongst a series of shoplots (as so many so-called hipster cafes are these days).  Instead, it's right next to the Balai Berita building - which houses the NSTP - and calls on old Printing Works factory its home.  Obviously, Pulp has spruced the place up quite a bit, though it has kept the integrity of the original structure.  The result is pretty cool: a light, airy, large space with high ceilings and plenty of beams & woodwork which give it a slightly earthy feel.


The interior


























Pulp differs from other coffee places in another way too - according to Marcus, the proprietor, its primary focus is the sale of high-end coffee machines (the most expensive of which costs RM50,000 or approximately £10,000!) and other coffee-related equipment.  As such, it has a room showcasing all its wares and - adding to the fun of this place - the touching of everything on display is welcomed!

The showroom is situated behind those glass doors

























That said, it's well-known that I am a greedy pig so I had to have something to eat and drink.  In terms of the latter, I selected a latte which I enjoyed very much.  I must admit I was initially a little disappointed as they don't stock skimmed milk (I am an avid fan of skinny lattes since I generally find the full-cream version too heavy), but upon tasting the coffee it really didn't matter: the bitterness of the coffee adequately balanced the creaminess of the dairy.  

Pretty neat coffee art too!

























Now, onto the food.  Although it was 9am, I really couldn't resist trying out some of the cakes prettily set out near the till, so we had a go at the chocolate & the carrot.  

Here's the chocolate…

























Doesn't it look decadent?!  Unfortunately, however, it didn't really live up to my expectations because it was overly gooey.  Ok before all of you get het up over that comment, I must jump in and say that I generally love gooey chocolate cakes.  Nevertheless, this particular confection just got a bit gluey in my mouth (not attractive), plus it was that in-the-middle temperature of not quite cold yet not quite warm, which made it taste a little odd.

However, I'm pleased to report that the carrot cake fared better.  It was moist (but not horribly damp) and flavourful, and I did love the cream cheese frosting.  Yay!

























Finally, the cooked food...

























Rather overwhelmed with greenery, don't ya think?!  Quite difficult to face that on a Sunday morning when one is looking for a slightly naughty meal.  However, once one does get through it (and by getting through it I mean pushing it to the side so you can access the other parts of the meal!) you do feel much happier.  And that's because (a) the sausages were pretty tasty, and (b) the combination of the crispy rosti (hiding under that perfect sunny side up) and the oozy creamy yellow yolk was really too perfect for words.

Overall, I did have a nice time at Pulp.  Although the food was what I'd call 'OK', I know that they are mainly a coffee place, and the coffee was undoubtedly yum, so we'll let that slide.  Importantly, the service was good and the staff were friendly (especially Marcus, who knows A LOT about coffee!)  In a few words, then: go and check Pulp out - you won't regret it!    

Rating: 8/10

P.S. Pulp has weekly coffee-tasting sessions on Fridays at 5pm, and they train lots of wannabe baristas, which sounds pretty cool. 

P.P.S. Pulp is closed on Mondays. 

Pulp by Papa Palheta
29-01 Jalan Riong, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
+603 2201 3650

No comments :

Post a Comment